This time of year is all about joyful noise, right? Bells a-ringing, people singing, that sort of thing.
Try bringing some of this holiday spirit home in the form of three fine motor building activities that your kids will really enjoy.
Your child can make fun, homemade shakers while also strengthening hand-eye coordination and the pincer grip! Try one of the three activities below and send us your finished project @Guidepost Parent!
Jingle Bell Wreaths
- Materials: Pipecleaner, jingle bells with hooks
- To do: String jingle bells, anywhere from one to as many as you can fit, on a pipe cleaner. Your child will build concentration by having to thread the pipe cleaner through the little hook on the jingle bell. Wear around your wrist or simply hold and shake!
- Materials: Pipe cleaner, wooden dowels, jingle bells with hooks
- To do: Similar to the wreaths above, string jingle bells on a pipe cleaner, this time spaced out about every inch or so. Wrap the pipe cleaner around a wooden dowel and tape the ends down. Shake in rhythm to your favorite song or make up a new beat!
Up-cycled Bottle Shakers
- Materials: Clean, dry water bottle with the wrapper off, bells, sequins, pom poms, other extra craft materials
- To do: Let your child get creative by filling an up-cycled water bottle with fun stuff like jingle bells or pom poms. They’ll be using a pincer grip to get the materials into the water bottle, or for an extra challenge, let your child use a tweezer or tongs instead of their fingers. Tie a decorative piece of ribbon around the cap when your child is finished and let them shake away!
There are plenty of ways to let your child practice their fine motor skills this holiday season. Why not raise a little joyful noise at the same time?
Recommended for you:
Model Your Values Every Day
Topics: Ages 0-3, Ages 3-6, Ages 6-9, Behavior, Early Learning, Family Life
Potty Training at School
Topics: Ages 0-3, Ages 3-6, Behavior, Family Life, Videos
On How to Deal With a Child’s Aggressive Behavior
Topics: Ages 0-3, Ages 3-6, All About Emotions
Montessori is not just for academics, it’s for life!
Topics: Ages 0-3, Ages 3-6, Ages 6-9, All About Emotions, Behavior, Communication, Confidence, Family Life, Independence, Montessori
Dinner With a Side of Math
Topics: Ages 0-3, Ages 3-6, Ages 6-9, Cooking, Early Learning, Family Life
What To Do When Your Child Has a Tantrum in Public
Topics: Ages 0-3, Ages 3-6, All About Emotions, Behavior
What does “Montessori at Home” Mean?
Topics: Ages 0-3, Ages 3-6, Ages 6-9, Family Life, Montessori